Land then house, or house + land package?

Thursday, August 13, 2015

We already knew how tough the property market was, but we still decided to look into it anyway!

We initially started looking at blocks of land in new estates (mostly in south west Sydney). We knew that it was more inexpensive than the west and north west, and it was a perfect area is it was close to both my parents and in-laws.

I just didn't realise how competitive it was, registering to go into a ballot system, then getting a priority number, etc. It was hard, and we didn't want to stress about trying to get a block of land. This was also our first time to buy and build a house, so I was half clueless about how it all worked!

My husband and I then agreed on looking for house + land packages. So here we went again, going to display villages, asking if there were packages available but being advised that they were all sold out. The amount of times I registered my email address with how many builders, I don't even remember! I'd say we were on email listings for about 4 months.

One day we were out around Oran Park looking at display homes when I received a bunch of house and land packages via email from Eden Brae. At the same time, I was on the phone to Masterton about a house and land package out at Cobbitty, and we were going to go and see the sales officer out in Warwick Farm about it. When I got off the phone, I opened the Eden Brae email and we read a package that we were interested in, so we decided to head up to Willowdale first. A 5 minute drive and a 30 minute conversation later, we ended up putting a holding deposit on one of the packages with Eden Brae!

It all happened so fast, I wanted to go home and think about it but I knew the package wasn't going to last for long. I feel like we didn't think hard enough about it, but I guess that's how the rat race works!

For me, I would personally say that purchasing a house + land package was so much easier. I know you don't get to choose your perfect block of land but with the way property is going at the moment, I think it was the best way for us!

We're happy we've taken the step towards building our first home.

And so it begins....

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Scandinavian Inspiration