The need for a Solicitor/Conveyancer

Saturday, August 15, 2015

*hand up in the air* yep, we're first home buyers. I'm not going to lie, I didn't know what we needed a solicitor or conveyancer for. Lucky for us, Eden Brae provided us with a timeline of what we required during the process. As soon as you put your $2000 deposit during at the sales centre, they ask if you have a solictor or conveyancer to review contracts. My friend initially referred us to a conveyancer, but I didn't really know of them (like I would be contacting solicitors' all the time anyway)!

The salesperson then gave us a business card of a conveyancer. There was no pressure for us to use them, but I think I felt more confident with their referral for some reason! So we ended up going with them.

I thought the conveyancer was supposed to look over both building and land contracts, but it turns out that it was just for the land. I guess, how were we supposed to know?

I asked the conveyancer when we saw them if they were required to look over the house contracts, but he said that it was a standard HIA contract and that you will just need to review they that didn't leave anything out (structural changes, additions), and make sure that the prices are the same (no overcharging) as discussed at your tender presentation. I guess they can review it and answer any of your questions, but it is straight forward.

You get given a standard HIA contract at the sales centre so review over before your tender presentation. To be honest, I read about 4 pages and got over it!

So yes, make sure you find a decent solicitor or conveyancer if you are buying a house and land package. It's good to be prepared because we weren't!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Scandinavian Inspiration